Workforce expenses often make up the largest portion of an organization’s variable operating expenses. At the same time, these expenses can be complex and difficult to plan effectively. To address this challenge, Oracle offers the Hyperion Workforce Planning module to help organizations quickly implement a best-of-breed business process and technology solution.
Here at Cervello, we find that many organizations hear the words “Workforce Planning,” but do not understand what the product actually does or how it can help their business. Here are the basics:
What is the Oracle Hyperion Workforce Planning Product?
Hyperion Workforce Planning is a prebuilt application for Oracle Hyperion Planning:
- If you own Planning, it is an additional module that you can buy.
- If you own Essbase, you will need to buy both Planning and the Workforce Planning module.
Customize vs. Configure?
Hyperion Workforce Planning comes with a predefined best practice business model for headcount planning. It includes prebuilt Dimensionality, Calculation Logic, Input Forms, Task Lists, and more.
Whereas traditional planning application implementations involve customizing Planning to your business process, Hyperion Workforce Planning gives you a business process to align against. As such, Hyperion Workforce Planning is less about customizing the product, and more about configuring your business process to align to the Workforce Model. The product is extensible to incorporate areas specific to your business such as 401k, International Payroll Taxes, Profit Sharing, and other specific Workforce items.
So what does it do?
Out-of-the-box, Hyperion Workforce Planning delivers the following functionality:
- Existing Employee Planning:
- Payroll Taxes
- Social Security
- Transfer between Departments and Job Codes
- Employee Performance Rating and associated Merit/Bonus
- # of Heads & FTEs
- New Employee Planning
- To Be Hired requisitions
- Associate a To Be Hired to an Employee once hired
- New Hire approval functionality
What do I need to get started?
Below are some items to think about before embarking on a Hyperion Workforce Planning implementation.
- Who provides our HR data (salaries, employee IDs, etc.) today?
- How is the quality of that data? How much are we “cleansing” it?
- Is that source internal or external? Automated or Manual?
- Are there internal/external security concerns around our compensation data?
- Can planners see salaries?
- Do we need to hide identifiable employee information?
- Is our Headcount Planning process:
- Centralized (Finance/HR plan everything or Decentralized (Cost Center Managers plan their departments)?
- If we roll out a new tool, would we change that?
- How do we want Headcount Planning to integrate with our Consolidated Planning model/process?
Cervello has implemented Oracle Hyperion Workforce Planning in a variety of organizations and industries and can assist in the following areas:
- Build vs. Buy Analysis
- Product Demonstration
- Workforce Planning Readiness Assessment
- Workforce Planning Implementation Services
- Workforce Planning Managed Services